We know how easy it is to get carried away using data when you’re abroad and come back to bills you didn’t expect. That’s why from 1 October 2012 we introduced a Data Roaming Cap for customers travelling to EU and Rest of the World destinations. Unless you previously opted out, you’ll never pay more than approximately £49 (inc VAT) for sending and receiving data while roaming.
Data roaming limits
Travelling abroad? Find out how we’re helping you keep the cost of browsing on your phone down.
select a topic
1. What is the Data Roaming Cap?
2. Where does the Data Roaming Cap apply?
The Data Roaming Cap applies to all countries.
3. How will I know when I have reached the Data Roaming Cap?
We'll send you a free text when you've used 50%, 80%, 98% and 100% of the Data Roaming Cap, so you never spend more than you planned.
4. What happens when I reach the Data Roaming Cap?
When you reach the Data Roaming Cap, you won’t be able to check emails or access the internet. If you need to, you can remove the Data Roaming Cap from your account (see below on how to do this).
5. What if I don’t want to limit the data I use when abroad?
It's easy to remove the Data Roaming Cap:
In EU countries just text “YES” to 386. For all other countries please call customer services on 150.
N.B If the Data Roaming Cap is removed from your account, it stays removed unless you ask us to add it again.
6. What happens if I have a Travel Data bundle on my account?
When you take a EU Travel Data Saver* data bundle we remove the data limit from your account.
If you want to have the data limit reapplied just call us on 150 and we’ll put it back on for you.
Not got a bundle? Find out more on the Costs and bundles page.
* N.B The Data Roaming Cap will still apply to the following bundles:
£3 EU Data 30MB Daily
£15 EU Data 30MB / 30 Days
7. Over what period does the Data Roaming Cap measure my data use?
Your use will be measured on a calendar month basis, so your MB limit will reset on the 1st of every month.
8. So what happens when I’m abroad?
1. You’ll receive a text message when you first turn your phone on at your destination. This will tell you how much it costs to use your phone wherever you are.
2. If you start using data you’ll receive a text message telling you that you're using data, and how much that data costs per MB. This message will also tell you about the available daily data bundle for where you are. We recommend you buy our bundles – they’ll save you money.
Got another question? Pay Monthly customers can call Orange Customer Services free on 150 from an Orange Pay monthly phone, or 07973 100 150 from any other phone. Pay As You Go customers can call 450 from an Orange Pay As You Go phone, or 07973 100 450 from any other phone.